Welcome to Free Write Friday 101!
One of the most useful ways I have found to release my muse is to simply write. And I challenge you to do the same. Each Friday I will post a quote, poem, image or thought for you to ponder. It’s time to free yourself and all of those brilliant words trying to escape your brain that you have placed bars around! Grab a pen, open your notepad on your computer or use whatever tool it is that fits you best and just write!
You may write in any form you choose for the prompt as I will never discourage writing but, I prefer you try traditional free verse for the exercise.
Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Do not think. Do not edit. Do not pay attention to spelling, punctuation or form.
- Just allow the moment, your feelings, your imagination to run free and…
- Do not stop until you find yourself forcing your words or trying too hard to complete a thought.
Free writing — also called stream-of-consciousness writing — is a prewriting technique in which a person writes continuously for a set period of time without regard to spelling, or grammar. It produces raw, often unusable material, but helps writers overcome blocks of apathy and self-criticism. It is used mainly by prose writers and writing teachers. Some writers use the technique to collect initial thoughts and ideas on a topic, often as a preliminary to formal writing.
Once your pen is dry, read over what you have written. You may be surprised to find that you have created a masterpiece! At this point, you want to leave it uncut and raw, a ranting prose of sorts. A free writing piece should be free verse only and appear as a journal/diary entry.
Ready to get started? It’s as easy as 1,2 3…
- Post your contribution on your blog. (Please link back to the FWF post your are writing for)
- Comment the FWF post with your link.
- MY ONLY RULE: Be courteous and comment other participants.
- FWF prompts never expire! Write for past or present prompts ANY time.
- On Twitter - tweet your link using the #FWF hashtag,
Have fun with this and be sure to comment others as we all embark on this challenge together. See you Friday!
Ready, set…Write! [View All Free Write Friday prompts here]